“Primer” part 1 of 3
X-Men, no. 1
May 2013, Marvel Entertainment
Brian Wood & Olivier Coipel
1. Series wordsmith Brian Wood decided to eschew the embarrassing phonetic accents for “regional” characters such as Rogue. Shugah.
2. The action scene takes place on the Metro North Harlem Line. I took this train to school when I was a kid and I enjoy some real-world regional flavor to my comics. Superhero stories tend to revolve around New York City so let’s bring some of that NYC reality to the page.
3. Coipel’s drawing of Jubilation Lee is completely adorable. She’s got the most emotional range in her expressions and Coipel handles it all well.
4. Coipel’s drawing of the American flag on the “Grand Central Station” page. I like how he used black for the stripes and faded into red for the tips, which show…
5. Yo, on the real, I JUST crushed a NASTY insect with this thing. So. Thanks for being at hand, X-Men # 1.